Tierra Chiloe is located amid the blue waters of Chile´s Northern Patagonia, on a mythical island, dotted with picturesque fishing villages. The beauty of this destination is as much in the landscape as it is in the island residents with their deep-rooted culture and timeless traditions. In true Tierra style, the distinctive architecture of the lodge is in-step with its breathtaking surroundings and comes complete with its own boat, the “Williche”, for navigating the inland waters. With only 12 guest rooms, Tierra Chiloe continues in the footsteps of Tierra Atacama and Tierra Patagonia by offering exceptional experiences and personalised service to its guests.
With Tierra Chiloé’s all-encompassing portfolio of excursions, you can hike, bike, kayak or sail your way through the charming landscapes of Chiloé. Adventures here include
Nature expeditions include:
– A remote virgin forest in Tantauco Park that features evergreen and millennial cypress forests in addition to large lakes and rivers
– Ahuenco Park- cross the Chepu River by boat, passing through the sunken forest and arriving at the pier, to start a trek through native forests looking out on the Pacific Ocean. During the summer months (October and April), we will have the opportunity to see the island’s two main penguin species: Magallanes and Humboldt.
– Hidden beach in Cole Cole
– Trek through native forests with viewpoints on the Pacific Ocean
– Cross dunes, pampas and native forests with privileged views of enormous cliffs, a tour that combines Chiloe’s different landscapes and the discovery of its wildlife.
– Pullao Marsh (Kayak)- watch migratory birds such as the long-billed curlew, cormorants and flamingos.
– Horseback riding to Pellul-Quento Beach- pass verdant fields, towns and historic churches
– Self-guided biking to explore on your own, at your own pace
Some of the culturally oriented tours include:
– Muelle de las Almas or “Pier of Souls” is a wooden pier perched on the cliff edges above the sea, leading nowhere. The work of local artist and sculptor Chumono, Muelle de las Almas plays homage to the legend of the boatman Tempilcahue who takes the souls of the dead to their final resting place.
– Quinchao Island – the true heart of traditional and indigenous Chiloe. Visit a local organic farm and learn about the work of Chilote farmers and their famous crops of native potato and giant garlic. Visit Dalcahue traditional market.
– Ancestral experiences -Low tide collection of seafood
– Mechuque – Chiloé’s surrounding, smaller islands are a treasure trove of wildlife and cultural heritage waiting to be discovered. Mechuque in the Chauques Isles, is one of the loveliest.
– Route of the Churches- this interesting tour to Quemchi, Aucar Island and three local churches can be done either on foot or by bicycle, the perfect chance to explore the north of the island on two wheels!
– The beating heart of Chiloé lies in the traditional stilt houses, grand churches and authentic craft markets of Castro. This city, a 16th-century former stronghold of Chilean governance, was used as an entry point to capture the island as an extension of the mainland. The history and cultural influences surrounding Castro make for an adventure of discovery.
Contours Travel recommends a minimum of three nights to explore this area.
Arrival transfer from Castro or Puerto Montt Airport to your accommodation at Tierra Hotel & Spa in Mocopulli.
There are 24 day trips available that were designed to allow you to discover the magic, culture and nature of Chiloe. The excursions are led by qualified and experienced guides who will join guests in a variety of activities such as hikes, horse rides, scenic journeys or bike rides in order to discover the most interesting parts of the archipelago.
Enjoy a full day to explore the magic of Chiloe. Suggested excursion options include:
– Historic Castro: visit the picturesque Mercado Yumbel to see typical regional products, the classic colourful palofitos (houses on stilts) and the UNESCO Heritage listed church of San Francisco
– Chepu: head to the northern part of the island where you will board a small boat for a trip down Chiloe’s largest river. Great opportunities for birdwatching.
Another day to explore the fascinating Chiloé. Suggested excursion options include:
– Chiloe National Park – Cole Cole Section: from Huentemo we hike through the countryside, surrounded by native flora such as ferns, Chilean rhubarb, Chilean myrtle and jonquils. Arrive at the white sandy beach of Cole Cole where we’ll have lunch
– Circular Route 2: Chelin – Quehui: board the boat “Williche” and sail towards the southwest to the calm water’s of Pindo Estuary. Here you can kayak, travel the coast in Zodiac or bike nearby trails to cliffs with gorgeous views. Seafood lunch onboard before an afternoon exploration of the pretty town of Chelin.
Transfer from Tierra Chiloé to Castro airport or to Puerto Montt airport.