Carefully squeezed between the vertical Andean slopes and crisscrossed by the lazy waters of the Urubamba River, the Sacred Valley in Peru was once the heartland of the Inca Empire. It is considered sacred due to its fertility and beauty, remaining as one of the world’s natural and cultural jewels to this day.
The explora Valle Sagrado deluxe hotel is located within a traditional corn plantation, locked away in one of the Valley’s most secluded haciendas. Its construction is based around essential luxuries, allowing the traveller to inhabit the remote location in its essence without distractions. Rooms in explora Valle Sagrado combine simplicity and comfort to ensure that our travellers get a good night rest after a day of exploration. With views to the cornfields and the mountains, the rooms are lined in wood and have a welcoming decoration, thus being a unique setting to disconnect and enjoy the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
Explora Valle Sagrado offers all-inclusive programs so travellers can explore the more remote and off the beaten places. The program includes meals, beverages, transportation and a choice of more than 20 exclusive guided excursions in the Valley. The explorations can be done by bike, hiking or overland. You can also add an expedition to Machu Picchu.
After arriving in Cuzco you will be picked up by an English speaking guide and transferred to the hotel.
Today you can get settled and walk around the property or get a nice massage at the Spa or use all the facilities that explora has for you! Outdoor swimming pool, hot tubs, steam rooms and saunas, all set within a colonial building carefully preserved.
After breakfast you can choose from all the menu of excursions that explora has for you. This hotel has over 30 different ways of discovering the natural and cultural wealth of the Sacred Valley and its fascinating Inca heritage. Specially trained by the exploration team, every one of the guides plays a key part in the Explora experience. The guides are highly knowledgeable about each area and have the Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification for providing emergency medical care in remote locations. Some areas to visit in the Sacred Valley include Machu Picchu, Ollantaytambo, Zapacto, Moray, Maras, Quimsacocha, Pisac, Cusco, Chinchero, Qenqo among others.
You have another day to explore the region with your specialist guide. Some suggested expeditions include:
– Inca Tracks (Bike & Hike): Take a 6 km walk over a mountain trail with 360º views to Cusco and the Sacred Valley. The descent is through potato plantations and pampas where shepherds tend their animals. In the afternoon, biking starts on the heights of the pampas, then going down through Quechua communities and farmlands, with views to the Sacred Valley.
– Pirka (overland): This route first takes us to Ollantaytambo, also known as the “living Inca city”. From there, travel to the archeological site of Moray, a laboratory of experimental farming where different microclimates are used to grow crops. From here we continue to Maras and a large lagoon, an ideal place to take a stroll and have lunch, to then follow to the town of Chinchero. The road crosses several fields where we will see farmers working or looking after their animals.
– Paru (hike): This exploration transports travellers to paths where only shepherds pass. There they will walk to more than 3,900masl. Then, following some watercourses, explore the slopes of the mountains and lagoons between ranches of Paru-Paru.
– Huertos de Yucay (hike): The exploration begins at Yucay, the former residence of the prominent Inca rulers Tupac Inca Yupanqui, Huaynacapac and Sayritupac, and abundant crop fields. The trail takes you to the area’s platforms and crop fields.
– Huayna Kolka (bike): After visiting the archaeological site of Machu Kolka, we get on our bikes and begin a descent among trees and adobe houses towards the town of Racchi. There, we pedal in ascent towards the viewpoint of Huayna Kolka to contemplate the valley. We descend by a winding dirt road to Huayllabamba. At this point, we skirt around different crop fields until we reach explora.
– Pumatambo (hike): The first part of the exploration is right through the living Inca city of Ollantaytambo. Then, we ascend to the archaeological site to get to know its terraces, the ceremonial centre and the Royal House. The second part is a hike through the Patacancha valley, ascending progressively along a path to the vestiges of Pumamarca, one of the most enigmatic archaeological sites in the region.
After breakfast you will be transfer from Explora Sacred Valley to Cuzco Airport for your onwards flight.