Torres del Paine National Park’s is Chile’s most impressive national park, and it is set in Southern Patagonia. It features lakes, glaciers, forests, rivers, waterfalls and unique granite Torres (towers). It’s magnificent and unrivalled flora, fauna, and stunning vistas are at your fingertips with this customised adventure package at Patagonia Eco Camp. Patagonia Eco Camp allows you to handpick daily activities such as cycling, hikes, and nature walks while returning, at the end of each day, for cosy accommodation and sublime meals at EcoCamp. Furthermore, the Wildlife Safari package offers you the flexibility to see and explore the park with shorter or longer stay options! Wake up in the middle of the Patagonian wilderness in a cosy geodesic dome, with a panoramic view of the majestic Torres del Paine, ready to pick up the hiking trail.
EcoCamp’s cosy geodesic domes are situated in the heart of Torres del Paine National Park and provide the region’s first fully sustainable accommodation, complete with green technology. Eco Camp Patagonia prioritises sustainable design and upkeep and is an internationally recognised environmental best practice. If unique eco-friendly accommodation with delicious cuisine and a friendly atmosphere in the middle of the wilderness sounds like your type of adventure, EcoCamp is ideal for you!
The Superior Domes the best choice for trekkers wanting that bit more space and comfort at the end of a long day’s walk. Domes are more spacious than Standard rooms, comfortable, and equipped with private bathrooms and heating.
The Suite Domes at EcoCamp Patagonia provides the highest levels of comfort and quality with rustic luxury with the pure Patagonian wilderness just steps away outside your door. They are luxurious domes, with heating, private bathrooms, and the best views of the park.
Contours Travel recommends a minimum of four nights to explore Torres del Paine National Park.
Today you will be picked up from the airport or hotel in Punta Arenas in the morning and driven to EcoCamp Patagonia, located in the world-famous Torres del Paine National Park (alternatively you can start your trip in Calafate or Puerto Natales).
En route, you will make a couple of stops – First in Puerto Natales, a small, lively town on the shores of “Seno de Ultima Esperanza”, where you can enjoy a hearty local lunch. There will be a second stop at Cueva de Milodon. A massive prehistoric cave where the remains of a giant ground sloth were discovered in the 1890s. The whole journey is very scenic, with plenty of wild birds and wonderful landscapes to be seen. The day ends with arrival and overnight stay at EcoCamp Patagonia, nestled in the heart of the park with a view of the Torres. During summer the sun sets around 11 pm, so upon arrival, there’s plenty of light to admire the Patagonian steppe with its guanacos and snow-peaked mountain horizon.
With EcoCamp’s Wildlife Safari, you choose the activities! Nature walks, treks, bike excursions, and more are yours to pick from – it all depends on your mood, weather conditions, and travel companions’ preferences! Plus, the private excursion option gives you the freedom to choose any excursion that matches your special interests (ask us for more details).
Excursions at Ecocamp are scheduled by the hotel each day, always with a moderate and more demanding option available. Depending on which day of the week you arrive, you may have the following as your first excursion options:
– Hiking or Biking Laguna Azul: an easy walk or cycle to the magnificent lookout point over Laguna Azul, with stunning views of the famous Torres in the background
– Western Lakes & Grey Glacier: drive to Lake Pehoe for a walk along the shores of the lake and the chance to see Salto Grande waterfalls. From here, drive to Grey Lake and have a tasty picnic lunch on the shore. Then, embark on a boat ride across the icy waters to the towering walls of Glacier Grey.
A full day to enjoy the variety of excursions offered by Ecocamp. Some of the available excursions include:
– Sarmiento Lake & Fauna Trail: a moderate hike along the shores of Lake Sarmiento with the chance to feast your eyes upon the stunning natural scenery and perhaps spot herds of guanacos along the way. Driving to the northern shore of the lake, we’ll hike the Fauna Trail for the chance to see more guanacos, ostrich-like ñandús and maybe the occasional puma print!
– Towers Base Hike: a demanding full-day hike, starting at Hosteria Las Torres and heading uphill to Ascencio Valley and the Chileno Refuge. From here the path becomes very steep and the hiking more challenging but you will be rewarded at the top with fabulous views of the Towers. Stop for a picnic lunch in this sublime location before returning along the same trail.
Another full day to enjoy the variety of excursions offered by Ecocamp such as:
– Pehoe Lake Boat Ride & French Valley Hike: drive to Pudeto and board a catamaran for the north-western sector of the Lake, where we begin the challenging hike to French Valley. The groups’ trekking rhythm will determine how far up the valley we go; expect fantastic views and impressive geological formations throughout the hike.
– Lazo Weber Hike: a 12km hiking trail packed with native flora and fauna. Have your camera ready to snap pics of the guanacos, owls, eagles and condors. The hike will lead you through native Coihue and Lenga forests to El Toro Lookout point for dramatic 360-degree views of the Paine mountain range, the Patagonian Andes, and a suite of rivers and lakes.
Take an early morning transfer, sit back, relax, and enjoy a scenic ride back to Punta Arenas on time to catch the evening flight to Santiago. Those heading to Argentina board an earlier transfer heading to the border.