Combine 3 nights at any two of Vik Chile, The Singular Patagonia, Alto Atacama, and &Beyond Vira Vira and receive a 15% discount off the total.
Travel dates: For travel until 31 May 2021. Black-out dates:
• The Singular Patagonia & Alto Atacama: 15 December 2019/2020 to 5 January 2020/2021
• Vik Chile: 20 December 2019/2020 to 10 January 2020/2021
• &Beyond Vira Vira: 19 December 2019/2020 to 28 February 2020/2021 AND 10 May to 31 May 2021
The luxurious Alto Atacama Desert Lodge & Spa is the perfect base for exploring the breathtaking Atacama Desert. The Atacama Desert is well known for its eerie lunar landscape with vast empty stretches of rock, salt and sand. It is one of the most fascinating places on Earth and it’s blessed with the clearest skies- perfect for stargazing.
Well, Alto Atacama has over 30 different tours and excursions to choose from. You can connect with the landscape, through carefully devised walks, hikes, and biking routes. To the people, via cultural and heritage tours created with the native population. Or to the night sky and Solar system, with the help of Alto Atacama’s open-air observatory.
The first traces of human activity in the area date back more than 10 thousand years. Since then, the Atacama Desert has continued to be a commercial crossroads for Andean peoples and a proud cradle of Ancient cultural heritage. These tours offer the opportunity to explore the legacy left by indigenous populations, from the Lican Antai to the Inca. These cultural tours are a chance to understand the heritage of these local hosts a little better.
Their contemplative tours are designed to allow a deep immersion into the diverse topography, nature and culture of the Atacama. The varying routes were carefully considered by Alto Atacama’s expert guides to offer guests the chance of exploring the enigmas of the desert. Most do not require extensive acclimatization or excessive physical exertion; however, some are best enjoyed once completely acclimatized.
As the Atacama Desert is one of the driest places on Earth, it leaves the sky free of clouds, meaning that the skies above are some of the clearest in the world. Many regard this region as the best in the Southern Hemisphere to practice astronomy. The hotel’s location is a spot to observe in peace the magnificent spectacle of stars, planets, galaxies, constellations and nebulae.
The adventure tours will offer guests just that – an adventure! This range of walking and biking excursions allow the force of the Desert to be revealed with the natural energy it deserves.
The expedition tours are the most demanding and require a minimum of two days altitude acclimatization as many of these expeditions pass over 4000masl. From the heights of volcanoes to the depths of streams, these excursions present a range of unique challenges to all thrill-seekers. As the old cliché goes, with these tours; ‘The greater the effort, the greater the reward!’
Contours Travel suggests a minimum stay of four nights to explore this area.
On arrival into Calama you will be met by an English speaking representative of the hotel and transferred to your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama.
Alto Atacama offers a wide array of tours, each falling into a conceptualised category based on the type of experience on offer. Some popular options include:
– Lican Antai culture: the first stop is the archaeological site of Tulor. At 2400 years old and well maintained, the site has been of great value in understanding many aspects of local history. Then, you will travel to the village of San Pedro to explore the old city and its church. Finally, visit Pucara of Quitor; a Pre- Hispanic village that provides an outstanding example of original native heritage.
– Valley of the Moon: This tour allows guests to enter a sanctuary of nature and geology. The Valley of the Moon is a spectacular geological formation created through the conflicting pressures of the Andes and the Cordillera de Domeyko. As one of the most breathtaking and iconic views in the entire region, travellers from all over the world migrate here to enjoy the sun setting over the Valley.
Another day to continue exploring this fascinating area. Some of the most popular excursion available are:
– Salt Lakes: The tour of Ojos del Salar takes us to two incredibly deep freshwater pools which emerge unannounced from the arid desert plains. This trip is noteworthy for its conclusion on the banks the Turquoise Lagoon of Tebinquinche; we will arrive just in time for sunset. Tebinquinche is known as a unique location to experience the pallet of colours associated with Andean volcanic waters, and surrounding mountains as the sun sets and the light morphs across the ever-changing landscape.
Another day to explore. Some of the most popular excursion available are:
– El Tatio Geysers: a geothermal field sitting at 4,321 metres above sea level. Beginning at dawn, you will explore the Geysers, which consist of large pools of boiling water and mud, fumaroles, and natural hot springs. This is also a good chance to appreciate the unique flora and fauna adapted to flourish in this extreme environment. On return, you will stop at Machuca, a traditional village previously used by local shepherds.
– Wetlands & Pecan Monks: The Wetlands tour offers the chance to delve deep into the Andean landscape, observing a variety of wildlife. The first stop is the wetland park of Quepiaco, an important protected area in the region, and a great place to spot native bird species. Next, it is the Salar de Pujsa, the largest reserve of its kind and the migration point for nesting flamingos to lay their eggs. Finally, guests visit the immense rock formations known as the ‘Pecan monks’, noted for their sheer size and sudden emergence from the Desert floor.
Transfer from San Pedro de Atacama to Calama Airport for your onward flight.