Travel to Cuba, an extraordinary and enigmatic country. Cuba is strikingly different from its Caribbean neighbours. Here you will flow with the salsa and son rhythms heard everywhere. You will see the history and politics embedded into the surroundings. Travel to Cuba, and you’ll likely become good friends with the Cuban joie de vivre. It is an island steeped in the history of Spanish colonialism and post-war revolution. Cuba’s unique political system is an attraction in itself and reminders of the communist revolution of Fidel Castro everywhere. But the country is slowly opening to the world showing its beautiful landscapes. From natures’ wild side to revolutionary monuments and Soviet architecture. Or From colonial landmarks to sugar cane and Tabaco valleys
But what makes Cuba unique is the bustling life and the old coloured cars. The fruit carts and wooden carvings stores. The cigar smell in the air, the colourful art paintings and the friendly glass of rum. And the music, which makes the locals have a natural sensitivity to the rhythms, is the country´s soul.
– The best time to travel is from November to May. However bookings over the peak season -December to March- should be made well in advance.
– The Caribbean hurricane season runs from July to October with August and September usually receiving the most rainfall.
– Stay overnight in Cienfuegos and visit the atmospheric Teatro Tomas Terry for some great live music in an authentic setting.
– The tiny fishing village of Baracoa boasts some of the best cuisines in Cuba. Don’t miss Pescado con leche de coco (fish in coconut sauce) or the sweet local delicacy of cucurucho (a mixture of dried coconut with sugar, honey, guava, papaya and nuts).
– Get lost in Camaguey’s complex network of blind alleys and winding streets. Rumour has it they were designed to repel attacks from marauding pirates!
– Experience the rhythms of Cuba firsthand. Take a salsa lesson or head to a local Casa de la Trova. You can see some of Cuba’s marvellous musicians perform the hits that made Buena Vista Social Club famous.
– Head to the Conde de Villanueva in Havana for a Cuban cigar and absorb the sights and sounds of this fascinating fusion of African and Spanish cultures.