The mighty Amazon Rainforest, also known as the Amazon Jungle or Amazonia, is the world’s largest rainforest. It covers a staggering 5.5 million square kilometres and is shared by nine South American nations. Of these, Brazil boasts around 60% of the rainforest, followed by Peru with 13%. Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana share the remainder.
There is a wide range of choices when it comes to exploring the Amazon. Whether you stay in a lodge or decide to cruise along the river, prepare to be enchanted by the mysterious Amazon. Learn about ancient medicinal secrets of indigenous tribes and watch monkeys swing through the high branches of “the lungs of the world”. Eat fruits you never imagined existed, canoe through the endless water world of the Amazon, while stopping to fish for piranhas. Marvel at lily-pads the size of your kitchen table and capture dazzling sunsets. Fall asleep at night hypnotised by the harmonious hum of the forest.
– The Amazon jungle is a year-round destination, but rainfall is typical all year round. However, there are two distinctive seasons with different traits. This can help you choose the best time to travel to the Amazon.
– Rainy season or high water season runs from mid-December to mid-May. The river rises by 12 metres, so the forest is flooded providing a stunning visual effect. Cruises and canoes can best access the remote creeks and lakes.
– Dry season or low water season lasts from June until November. This season provides long hikes and best birdwatching opportunities. Also, the aquatic populations are confined to a few key areas, so fishing is ideal.
– September to November are the hottest, driest months in the Amazon.
– Travel to a remote Amazon lodge for better chances of spotting wildlife.
– See the famous ‘Meeting of the Waters’ on the mighty Amazon in Brazil, where the Rio Negro and Rio Solimões converge.
– Enjoy a truly immersive rainforest experience with an overnight glamping trip or your own private tree house – a unique combination of adventure and comfort